Batter is seeing its very own AWS moment
One could say that batter is not getting the importance it deserve. So far packaged batter is primarily used for dosa and idli. And why stop there ? It could easily become the primarily ingredient for host of new dishes. It can make home cooking easy and fun !
One company has expanded the batter category beyond the regular consumers aided by innovation. It’s been rewarded too. It’s very close to the Amazon AWS moment, where the cloud computing company had 6–7 years of free run to build its business without any competition. And yes, it doesn’t happen often. Something similar might be happening in Batter.
Today one will see in large parts of India, packaged batter is iD fresh. One could argue more Indian household are eating idly, dosa, appam than ever before. Just because of the ease of it. The barrier has been removed. North as well as South Indians can have the same tasting idli or dosa at home. We have to thank the packaged batter or ready mixes brands like iD fresh, MTR for that.
This can be bought to other category too. There are areas in the kitchen where the batter can simplify life. Lets rephrase this. Where should you focus if you wish to enter the batter business ?
Just don’t do idli and dosa batter. If you want to compete in a segment, the easier and less expensive option would be to not go after category leader. But by finding your blue ocean. If you look at data closely, it is giving you the signal ! Cake, Pancake, Waffle, …., …., are yet unfulfilled.
Below are various batter options consumers are seeking or shown curiosity for. Do we have batter for most of them ?
- So Indians have got a taste of batter by using it to make idli and dosa. Half the job is done. They know the play. Give them something new, they will not hesitate to try it.
- Urban consumer (rural audience can surprise us too) who have taken up cooking are well read, traveled, follow popular movies, culture and are active social media participants. While they are cooking the ‘essential’, they will also try the so called exotic (in Indian context). They might want pancakes but don’t want to go through the hassle of making the batter. They might want to make the waffle, they wouldn’t want to worry about the ingredient. Let them just enjoy the process.
- During the festivals or in some lazy Sunday evenings, our sweet craving kicks in, they might want to make jalebi. Or pakora to go with it.
- Should we forget cake, one of the most high growth and high volume category. Its a new rage if you want to believe the data. Earlier, home baking caught the attention of the world when everyone stated baking. Does it needs a mention that cake batter would have helped ?
- Make your brand playful. Think Lego. Make batter sexy. Or a family activity. Choose your indulgence. Cake, pancakes will help you just do that !
- The crisis showed up and the brands responded. But only a well thought out products will survive beyond time. For it to be made into a permanent indulgence, you have your work cut out. iD fresh spearheaded a category with innovation. How often do you see Indian brands being awarded for its design ? Care and detail will noticed and respected.
- And once you have figured out the ‘right’ product in this new segment — you will have created a revolution.
If not for anything, we owe it to our wife, mothers and all women who spent their time in the kitchen. If you can save few hours in a week for them, you should pat yourself on your back. Maybe that could be your brand story.
Data source : Google